Thursday, February 14, 2008

...Valentine's Day...and boxes...and blizzards...OH MY!!!


This is the box we built to hold Jackie's Valentine's for school...



I finished at 2:00 this morning.
Why 2:00a.m., you ask????? I'll tell you a tale of a fateful trip...It started from this tropic port, aboard a tiny ship...(oops, different trip haha).

At 4:15p.m., I, and my intrepid brother, Marc (who volunteered to drive his car because it handles better in the snow) left home to go about 8 miles up the freeway to pick Kevin up from work. Did I mention that we were having a
blizzard?? Yup...a full-fledged-white-out-takes an hour to go a half-mile-BLIZZARD!!! While Marc and I were stuck on I-15 in the mile just before the exit to Kevin's work, Kev called to say the road up to the plant had been closed due to white-out conditions. Kev managed to get a ride home and told us to just turn around and head home, too.

The first half of that mile took us an hour. The second half took TWO HOURS, halfway through which, Kevin arrived home before us. I felt like we needed to send a rescue for the rescuers. At this point, we'd been on the freeway for 4 hours, moving at about 2 miles per hour (when we moved at all)! It took us another 2 hours to get home. In total, our little rescue "Kevin from work-adventure" lasted a little over 6 hours. When we finally managed to get off the freeway and tried to head home on the surface streets, Marc summed up the experience with his usual wit and aplomb. He said, "Hell HAS frozen over, and we're in it!!!"



This was the Valentine's present we had on our front door this morning.
(oh, and after I got home, I still had to make Jackie's box for school)

4 comments:

JEN B said...

oh annette, i am sooooo sorry!!!!!how frustrating!! we heard on the news that people had to sleep over at the church close by!! i went out today and stocked my car with granola bars and water and a blanket!! it has been a winter of crazy blizzards this year!! love jen

Netty said...

I was just happy that I'd thought to bring some food and water with me. I was also thrilled to have dressed warmly and had my scarf and gloves, since I had to keep getting out of the car to de-ice the wiper-blades. I NEVER want to have that experience again.

The Schultz Family said...

So would you be jealous that it has been in the high 70's to low 80's here in good ol' San Diego California?? I mean so warm that the kids are in shorts? Warm like we need the air conditioning on? Are you envious??!!! HA HA j/k I would much rather be in the snow. I love it!

Netty said...

Other than the "getting stuck for 6 hours on the freeway" part, I'm actually ok with the snow. However, Kevin and the girls would be WAY jealous to hear about your sunny weather. Poor babies.