Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day...


I have a confession to make...I am an incurable romantic. I LOVE hearts and flowers, and stories that end in: "...and they lived happily-ever-after!" Can't help it, that's just me. HOWEVER, I have never really liked Valentine's Day. Maybe it's left-over angst from Elementary School when you sat all day by the Valentine's Box or envelope you had decorated, waiting to see how many people wanted you for their Valentine.

OR maybe it's from all the years after when you waited for that "special someone" to ask you to be HIS Valentine. Maybe it's all of those things mixed in with my neurotic insecurities. Whatever the reason, Valentine's Day hasn't ever really been my favorite holiday.

Then it happened...23 years ago, on February 6th, 1988; Kevin William Webster asked me to be his, forever. Suddenly, I had a Sweetheart of my very own! That night, almost a week before Valentine's Day, became one of my happiest memories - EVER! It was sweet and magical; and led to my "Happily-Ever-After".


I used to dream of my "Knight in Shining Armor" sweeping me off my feet and carrying me off into the sunset. Now my Knight is my Kevin and all he has to do is smile the way he does - that lets me know he gets what I'm thinking, or kiss me good-bye (or hello, or good-night, or for anything at all), or dance with me in the kitchen while Jackie gags and Mandy goes "Whoo whoo!! Go Dad and MOM!!!" ...that's all it takes, and I'm swept away.

All these years later, and I STILL can't really say I'm the biggest fan of Valentine's Day. It may sound sappy, but with Kevin every day feels like Valentine's Day to me! He's the very best man I know, and I'm SO in love with my Valentine!

0 comments: