Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas

So often this time of year, we hear the question, "What does Christmas mean to you?". Some people HATE Christmas. Although that completely baffles me, I understand that they have their reasons. Sometimes it's because they see the season as being too commercial. Perhaps they have unhappy memories. Maybe all they can see is what appears to them to be people going a little bit nuts and driving themselves crazy - rushing here and there trying to do ten million things at once and killing themselves trying to do EVERYTHING before Christmas.




I see all those things as well. In fact, I am sad to say; in the past - on occasion, I have even been one of those crazy people. Those were the times when I temporarily lost sight of what Christmas really means to me, and what's truly important about this "most wonderful time of year". Over the last few years I have made a concentrated effort to really focus on why Christmas is so special to me and why I love it so much.

This year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has launched an advertising campaign entitled "He is the Gift". It emphasizes the first gift of Christmas - the gift our loving Heavenly Father gave us - His Son. The video that accompanies this campaign is truly inspirational.


Elder Jeffery R. Holland said: "Remember that the first Christmas began with a little family – without toys, trees, or tinsel. With a baby – that's how Christmas began” For me, that's what all the decorations and trappings of Christmas remind me of - the gift of my Savior, Jesus Christ. The things we do that bring joy and love to our families and those around us remind me of the joy and love that were expressed on that first Christmas. All these good things - these happy things help me remember that because He was born and fulfilled His divine mission, I get to have those I love with me eternally. That is a gift beyond price, one I for which I will forever be grateful. And all because of that first and most precious gift given so freely and lovingly on that first Christmas so long ago.

May we all share THE gift as we enjoy this wonderful season by holding those we love closer to our hearts, by reaching out to those who might need a loving hand, and being just a little more kind and patient. Merry Christmas with love,

Netty

0 comments: