Monday, April 6, 2015

Opposition...

This weekend was General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  The Church has these conferences every six months.  For two days, (Saturday and Sunday) the members of the Church and other interested parties gather to hear the words and counsel that we believe is given to inspired leaders from our Heavenly Father.

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints there is no paid clergy. Everyone serves in a volunteer capacity. We believe that callings (or jobs/positions) in the Church are issued by inspiration from Heavenly Father. That includes the callings of our Apostles and Prophet.  Each member is regularly given the opportunity to raise their hand and sustain those who accept callings in the Church. They are also given the opportunity to voice an opinion to the contrary. Bear in mind, we are not voting to put or keep people in their positions. We are simply showing our public support of these individuals in their respective callings. It is an act of faith, not a popularity contest.


In the Saturday afternoon session of General Conference, a few members in the Conference Center yelled out "NO!" when asked to sustain the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. This came as quite a shock to many who had never seen an opposing vote before. Honestly, it surprised me a little, too.  It has been many, many years since I heard any opposition expressed at a sustaining of the Church officers.

One of the things I truly love about the Gospel as found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is the concept of agency. Agency is a gift from God which allows us the opportunity to make our own choices - good or bad. Although we are free to choose for ourselves, we are not free to choose, nor are we free from the consequences of our choices - good or bad.

God knows that we are all different. He created us that way. Thank goodness he did - or life would be pretty boring. lol  However, because we are all so unique, we each come to our belief, worship, and spiritual progression in our own way. I am grateful for that - God doesn't judge me by what someone else does or doesn't do. It's scary enough to be accountable for my own foibles and follies.

Those members who expressed their opposition in Conference did so for their own reasons. They are on their own personal spiritual journey and will progress or not at their own pace. I pray that they will be able to work out their feelings and find peace with Heavenly Father.

Their opposition did something for me that I didn't expect. It made me think about what it means to sustain our Church leaders. It made me realize that sustaining our leaders means more than just raising our hands. It means that I will live my life in compliance with the tenants of my faith. It means that I TRULY believe that these men and women have been called by God to serve in His Church. It means that because I raised my hand, I am committing myself to being obedient to my Heavenly Father and the counsel He gives me through His ordained servants. It means that I will back up my raised hand with my thoughts and words and actions.

Because of all it means...I raise my hand a little higher and think about what it really means to sustain the Prophet and Apostles of God.




0 comments: