Monday, November 30, 2009

A Christmas Story...

A long time ago...11 years, to be exact, I took a trip to Oregon. During that trip, I went shopping with my dear sister-in-law, Debbie. We happened upon a beautiful nativity and I said how much I liked it.

That passing comment led to a Christmas present that in turn, led to a Christmas tradition near and dear to my heart. The short version of the story is that Debbie took note of how much I liked this nativity and bought one piece per paycheck for that entire year; planning on giving it to me and Kev for the following Christmas. Through circumstances we couldn't have imagined, the gift was misplaced and forgotten for FOUR years. When at last it was given, this was the story Debbie wrote up to go with it:




To be honest, I didn't even remember looking at this nativity in the store...so I was pleasantly surprised...

The nice thing is that this particular nativity is designed so you can add pieces to it every year. Jackie likes it as much as I do, so every year, she helps me pick out new characters to add to our nativity.

Each piece comes with its own individual story. As we put up the nativity, Jackie and I tell the story of each piece. It's become a tradition for us and a time when we can create precious memories.

It started as a gift of love...it is that and so much more. To the "sister of my heart" who started it all, I say "Thanks Deb. I love it! ...and I love YOU!"


The goose girl's name is Deborah...nice coincidence, huh?

The shepherd girl and the sleeping shepherd were this year's additions...


This is the original scene I fell in love with...


And here it is: My "Fontanini" Nativity for 2009

0 comments: