Friday, February 19, 2010

It begins...

Last Saturday, when Amanda came home from the weekly Youth Dance, she was practically walking on air. A boy (name withheld to protect the innocent) that she has liked for quite some time FINALLY asked for her phone number . He told her that he would like to call and ask her for a date. Amanda has wanted this young man to be her first date, ever since the second she turned 16. Talk about dreams coming true.

That was Saturday...

Everyday since, though she has tried not to worry about it (have I mentioned that Amanda is a CHAMPION worrier? Second only to my big sister...LOVE YOU, Caline...); Amanda has practically jumped out of her skin every time her phone rang. As luck would have it, THE phone call finally came Thursday evening.

Kevin was driving Mandy home from basketball practice when THE call came. He reported that Mandy tried to play it cool, but was almost bouncing out of her seat. Kev even got to talk to this young man when he asked for directions to our house. To give him credit, he made a great impression on Kevin when he asked what Mandy's curfew was. He was very polite and respectful, which also went a long way towards earning "the Dad's" good graces. Let's face it, that has to be important to a young man asking a girl out on a date.

So this is what I saw when Kev and Mandy got home. My daughter, bouncing through the house, giddy with joy and a bewildered, laughing Kevin with a wry smile on his face...slightly bemused at this latest turn of events in his "baby-girl's" life.

We're moving the baseball bat to the front hall closet, closest to the front door. We'll keep you posted as the dating life of the Webster-girls begins...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have a couple of years to go before I'll need to move the bat from the garage to the front door, but... I was sitting waiting for Stake choir practice to start just before Christmas. My oldest, now 14, was sitting a couple of rows ahead. The guy sitting next to me asked if that was my daughter. When I said it was, he said, "Hmmm... cute. My advice, as the father of several girls, would be to put a paper bag over her head right away." Seemed a little drastic at the time, but the more I think about it... Just thought I'd pass that bit of wisdom along.

Netty said...

Thanks, Jeff. We've thought of locking them in a closet 'til they're hmmmmm - about 30 or so. Not sure we'd get away with that, but it's a thought. haha