Friday, February 5, 2010

A Magic Moment

Have you ever had a perfect moment in time? You know, where time itself seemed to pause to take notice? Everything stopped...the world was hushed....and you KNEW everything in your life was about to change forever?

February 6, 1988; I had just such a moment. It was late. It was dark. It was peaceful and serene there on the grounds of the Mesa, AZ LDS Temple. He asked me to be "His wife, his eternal companion, and the mother of his children". I KNEW it was coming...I knew he was going to ask... But when the moment came, time stood still. In a heartbeat, I saw all the ways in which my life would change. I saw a lifetime... no, an eternity of life, love, and living with this wonderful man who wanted to marry me. With a gulp, and my heart in my throat, I took a leap of faith and said: "Yes, I think I'd like that."

On the way home at almost midnight in downtown Mesa, we came across a woman selling flowers on the street corner. Kevin bought me the first flowers I'd ever received. A dozen long stemmed red roses.


I swear those roses stayed fresh and lovely for a month...maybe I was just looking at them through...rose-colored glasses...haha But to me, they were magic.

That weekend we took engagement photos and I got my engagement ring. It was as beautiful, sweet, and romantic as I always dreamed it would be.



Now it's 22 years later. We don't exactly look the same. But the magic is still there.


I look at this wonderful man who wanted me for his wife, eternal companion, etc. I couldn't believe how much I loved him then. I had no idea how much more I would love him, now.

Tonight we're going on our weekly "date-night". We'll be celebrating that other night when he asked, and I said 'yes'. We may not find a vendor on the corner selling magic flowers here in Lehi. But we'll bring our own magic with us and remember that other perfect moment in time.

0 comments: