Thursday, January 3, 2013

Christmas Break...

"What I did on my Christmas Vacation"

I feel as if I am writing an essay for school. haha  I just wanted to share what we did over the Christmas Holidays.

Earlier in the month, Amanda came down with a chest-cold which quickly turned into bronchitis.  The doctor said it was viral and for us to just treat the symptoms with over-the counter cold medicines.  The problem was that the bronchitis was aggravating her asthma. By early (REALLY early) in the morning on December 15th, Mandy's breathing was really labored; so Kev and I took her to the emergency room.  They monitored her for a few hours, gave her some steroids to treat the inflammation in her lungs, and sent us home.  That Wednesday brought another trip to the doctor and a chest ex-ray.  This time the doctor told Mandy that she needed a cortisone shot or she would send her to the hospital for a couple of days for IV steroids.  Mandy opted for the shot.  It was a slow process that took almost a week; but the inflammation eventually subsided and Mandy's breathing returned to normal.

While Mandy was recovering from all this, Jackie started experiencing severe abdominal pain.  Late the night of December 22, we rushed Jackie to the emergency room with what we thought was appendicitis. They gave her pain meds and did an ultrasound of her abdomen.  They didn't see anything amiss, so they sent us home with some pain meds and instructions to keep an eye on her.  They told us that if the pain didn't stop or she started throwing up, to come back.  All through that Sunday, we watched her.  The pain did not diminish, and by Monday morning (Christmas Eve) she started throwing up.  So back to the ER we went.  This time, they were sure it was appendicitis, and we started to mentally prepare for a Christmas Eve surgery for our girl.  Fortunately, the CT scan showed a kidney-stone, not appendicitis.  Although, it was extremely painful, Jackie was grateful to avoid surgery.  Poor kid. Jackie's essay for "What I did on my Christmas Vacation" could read:  "I spent my Christmas Vacation in pain, drugged, and asleep."

It wasn't the Christmas break we had planned.  I hated seeing my kids suffer.  I would gladly have taken-on their afflictions if it would spare them.  I know it wasn't easy for either of them to endure what they did.  I KNOW it was scary for both girls at times.  Still, we all saw Heavenly Father's goodness in their recovery, for which we are very grateful.

Christmas Eve found us gathered for our usual activities.  Jackie and Mandy both had friends over to join us.  We enjoyed having Luc and Chris celebrating with us for the evening.  They added to a very interesting discussion on the Nativity.  

When the guys went home, and everyone was settled in for the night; I reflected on recent events.  As I thought about why we celebrate this season, and the gifts He gave us; I was swamped with gratitude. I thought about what Jesus said, that he had "suffered these things for all..." The knowledge that He came to earth and took upon Him our pains and afflictions so that He could help us through them; had extra special meaning after watching my children struggle through their recent afflictions.  I was so thankful that they could turn to Him in prayer and find comfort and peace.  It lent a special significance to my celebration of the birth of our Savior this year.

...So that's what I did over my Christmas Vacation...

Now we start a New Year with healthier children, and hope for brighter things to come.  Happy New Year to each of you.  May you be happy, healthy, and safe.

0 comments: