Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Evolution of the "HUG Monster"....

dun-dun-dun....(music for dramatic effect)...

Ok, there really is a perfectly good explanation for the title of today's blog. Eight years ago, on the day we adopted Jackie, the "Hug Monster" was born. We had just picked her up when we realized that none of us had eaten dinner. Luckily, about that time we saw a McDonald's that had an indoor play-area. We got dinner and let the girls play after they ate. They were having fun, but Jackie was still a little shy around Kevin and me. Amanda wanted Daddy to play with them, so Kev got the idea to chase them. He didn't want to do anything to make Jackie scared of him, so the "HUG-Monster" was born. Kevin chased them, and if he caught them, they got big hugs from Daddy. That was all it took to break the ice. I had a few good laughs watching Kevin trying to squeeze all of his six foot height in and around the tunnels and slides of the playground. Since I was sitting at the table, I became "home-base". Not long after the game started, Amanda ran to me saying, "Mommy, Mommy, save me from the Hug-monster!" The next thing I knew, here came Jackie saying, "Mommy, Mommy, save me!" Then she threw herself into my arms and I had the first of many Jackie-hugs. (She's very good at it, to this day) That was also the first time she called me "Mommy". Needless to say, I was a puddle of tears.

What does this have to do with today's blog, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. The "HUG-Monster" is alive and well, and living here in Lehi, Utah. I have pictures to prove it... No, not fuzzy Big-Foot-type pictures, but perfectly clear pictures to document this phenomenon of nature...


Here we see the creature in his 'natural' environment...



From the top of the "Jungle-gym-tree", the Hug-Monster can get a clear view of any approaching prey or threats...



What is this unsuspecting creature who swings so recklessly on the jungle-gym tree??? Is it a cuckoo-bird??? No, it's an "Amanda-bird"!



...Gaily she frolics, little realizing the danger that lurks above...



Suddenly alert to the deadly "Hug-monster", she drops to the ground and makes her escape...but barely...



Rats! He missed his Hug, that time... Which unsuspecting creature shall he seek-out, next? Perhaps a clever and wiley "Jackie-monkey"??? Ah, here's one in its natural habitat...



Ever alert, the agile "Jackie-monkey" quickly evades the dreaded predator...



By the light of the full moon, we get a clear view of this elusive predator...



As if he senses our presence, he pauses - almost as if he is posing for the camera...


Such a handsome creature...we'll leave him to his natural environment, and wish him a more successful hunt, next time... Good Night, Hug Monster!

0 comments: