Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Lovin' Summer....

...and waving it goodbye as we roll into September!

Somehow it doesn't seem like it should be September, yet. We are still watching our garden produce yummy veggies. It's our most successful garden yet! Only took us seven years to figure it out, but we finally did! Whoo hoo!!! Yesterday we harvested enough tomatoes for me to preserve some sauce for the winter. When it's cold and snowy outside, that tomato sauce will provide the base of many delicious soups and pasta dishes. I love that!!!



It's been a challenging Summer. It doesn't look as if those challenges are going away any time soon. 

Friday we met with my doctor to "officially" review my biopsy results. The good news is there's definitely no cancer. The bad news is that the tumors are sarcoidial tumors which result in a disease called, funnily enough, "sarcoidosis". Thankfully, it is treatable. Unfortunately, the treatment isn't wonderful. It involves steroid treatment for up to a year, in conjunction with some other meds that just plain make you sick. Since all the meds involved can cause some icky side-effects, there are lots of continuing tests and monitoring in my future. Lest you think I'm heading for a pity-party...don't worry. I have no plans for that kind of a party. I am actually looking at things from a brighter side and counting all the tender mercies that are coming my way. I am working towards being able to function as normally as possible given the shortness of breath & other symptoms of this condition...usually it involves spurts of activity punctuated with breathing-breaks and rest-periods. But at least I'm getting things done, right??  

In the meantime, I plan on milking these last precious days of summer for all the light and joy they can bring, before we dive head-long into Fall. (My favorite season, by the way!). I have canning to do, flowers still to nurture, and the sanctuary of my garden to enjoy...


 ...before we break-out the spice of Autumn and the jack-o-lanterns.  


0 comments: