Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Square with the Lord...

Years ago, a dear friend of ours was publicly accused of wrong doing. His face and name were splashed across the local papers and trumpeted from the nightly news. Those of us who knew and loved this good, good man knew - absolutely  - that the accusations were false.


One evening, when Kevin and I were out on a double-date with our friend and his lovely wife, we asked him how he was holding up under the scrutiny. His answer impacted us so deeply, it truly changed our lives. His chief worry was for his wife and children and how this situation would affect them. Then he said:  "When I look in the mirror, I know that the man I am looking at is 'square with the Lord', and that is what matters."


Wow!!!  "Square with the Lord"... What a great way to live. Kevin and I decided that was a great example to follow. We needed to live so that we were "square with the Lord", and everything else would fall into place and be ok.

Fast forward almost 20 years...

Today I was talking with another dear, dear friend. I told him this story and how it changed our way of thinking. Our conversation today got me thinking about what it means to be "square with the Lord". Does that mean that you do what Heavenly Father says all the time and never make mistakes? Heaven forbid that it would mean we have to be perfect!!! This is the gospel according to Netty, so I don't necessarily have chapter and verse on it, but here's what I think, and how we've chosen to live "square with the Lord". Being "square with the Lord" simply means that you are doing your best to follow His way. Doing your best...with the knowledge, state of mind, experience, and capabilities you have at any given moment. Sometimes that means you do better than others. I am grateful our loving Father doesn't expect us to be perfect, or I would definitely fall miserably short.

To me, the good thing about living "square with the Lord" is that He perfectly understands how difficult that can be for us. The Book of Mormon prophet, Ether wrote:  "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." *Ether 12:27 
Heavenly Father gets our imperfections or weaknesses. He loves and understands us perfectly. He has also provided a way for us to overcome those weaknesses. 

In addition to knowing our weaknesses, He has lovingly given us promises of help along the way to aide us in overcoming those imperfections. In the Doctrine and Covenants He promises:  "...for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you to bear you up." D&C 84:88 
What an amazing concept...angels round about us. Talk about a humbling thought.



I have had a little experience with that concept. In my life, I have been the recipient of angelic assistance. I have seen Heavenly Father send angels to bless my life - angels from both sides of the veil. He is very good at using angels with the faces of friends and neighbors to bring us blessings and help us through the hard times. And at times in the quiet watches of the night when I have been the most troubled, He has allowed me to feel the presence of angels from His side of the veil for comfort, peace, and healing.

"Square with the Lord" is a great way to live our lives. Best of all, He doesn't expect us to do it alone. He will be with us and send help when we need it. Somehow that makes it seem doable and worth it.









0 comments: